What is Car Detailing?
Sometimes your vehicle needs a good detailing service to ensure that it looks great on the streets of Farmington Hills. Are you curious about getting your car detailed, but still left wondering: “what is car detailing?” Car detailing goes above and beyond simply washing the exterior of your new vehicle, and is a more in-depth process. Car detailing involves deep cleaning and restoring a car so it looks as good as new, and helps protect your vehicle’s paint.
The service team at Fred Lavery Porsche Company has the guide you need to learn just how to detail a car so it can shine for years to come on the streets of Rochester Hills.
Car Detailing: Necessary Items
Before you get started on your car detailing adventures, you’ll want to get all of your supplies together. Here are the basic supplies you’ll need for a thorough car detail:
- Vacuum cleaner
- Washing mitts
- Microfiber cloths
- A variety of small brushes (such as a paintbrush)
- Canned air
- Upholstery cleaner
- Carpet stain cleaner
- Car-safe cleaner
- Window cleaner
- Surface protector for vinyl and leather surfaces
How to Detail a Car: Exterior
So how do you detail a car? Use our guide below, follow the steps, and you’ll be on your way to a clean vehicle in no time:
- Rigorous Exterior Wash: Use water, a solution designed specifically for washing the exterior of a vehicle, and microfiber cloths to clean the body of your vehicle. Do not use typical household detergents. These products could end up stripping off the wax on your car’s surface. Periodically use new cleaning cloths. When dirt or debris starts to accumulate on the cloth, it could scratch your vehicle’s surface. After the exterior has been thoroughly cleaned, dry the vehicle off with clean towels.
- Clean the Wheels: To clean the wheels, you can use the same cleaner used for the rest of the exterior or one that is designed specifically for your tires. Use a small brush to remove dirt in hard to reach places.
- Wax the Exterior: It is recommended that you also wax your vehicle once the exterior has been thoroughly cleaned. Apply the wax and wipe off excess wax with a small brush.
Interior Car Detailing
Car detailing isn’t all about your exterior – it involved a deep clean of your interior as well. Here are a few different products and techniques you can use for interior car detailing:
- Carpeting: Vacuum any carpet in the cabin of your vehicle. If you need to remove stains, apply a stain remover and use a brush to remove them.
- Door Interior: For the non-carpeted part of your doors, clean the surface with a solution of soap and water. Dry the doors with a cloth. Next, open your car doors to clean the metal and plastic parts of your door jambs.
- Windows: When it comes to the windows, simply use a window-cleaning solution and dry completely to avoid streaks.
- Upholstery: Vacuum your seats, and if the fabric upholstery has any stains, they can be removed with a stain remover and brush. There are special steps for leather seats. To prevent mildew, let the seats dry with the car doors open.
- Steering Wheel Column: Remove dust and stains with a cleaning solution. Dry the steering wheel column before applying a surface protectant.
- Dashboard and Center Console: Use your small tools to clean cracks and tight crevices. Make sure that all surfaces are thoroughly dried.
Keep Your Vehicle Looking Like New in Birmingham
After learning about how to detail a car, have you decided you’d like to leave it up to the professionals? Don’t hesitate to contact us today and we can get you the answers you’re looking for. We also offer service specials for additional savings in Franklin.